A few years ago, a great friend of mine made the most amazingly delicious red velvet cake for a party at my house. I’d never eaten red velvet cake before so I was excited to try it. Ever since I took my first bite, I was hooked. Then I began clean eating and I couldn’t eat red velvet cakes and cupcakes everyday, but I would occasionally crave them during the week. 2 weeks ago I decided to create a clean red velvet cake pop, and it’s literally the best thing I have created to date!!
Yields 21 cake pops
Ingredients for the Cake:
1 and ½ cups of oat flour
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp FLAT unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup coconut oil
½ cup buttermilk substitute made by using ½ a cup of unsweetened almond milk and adding 1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1tsp butter extract
½ cup stevia
2 tbsp red food coloring
½ cup egg whites
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Icing:
6 oz fat free cream cheese
2 tbsp FLAT unsweetened applesauce
¾ cup stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for Chocolate “Shell”:
7oz 85% dark chocolate
2 tbsp coconut oil
Extras: lollipop sticks (I got mine from Michael’s)
Instructions for the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together till they’re well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the wet ingredients.
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into to the dry ingredients bowl and beat till smooth and fluffy.
- Pour into a pan/glass bakeware and bake for about 20 minutes. Put a toothpick or a fork through the center to make sure it’s fully cooked. I end up just turning the oven off an letting it cook in the heat so that the edges don’t burn.
- Let the cake cook completely.
Instructions for the Cream Cheese Icing:
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and beat till smooth. I used electric eggbeaters.
Instructions for the Chocolate Shell:
Put the chocolate and the coconut oil in a bowl and warm for 30 seconds, then take out and stir. Repeat till melted/smooth.
Instructions for the Cake Pops:
- After the cake is completely cooled, crumble it all up so that it looks like this and make sure there are no chunks:
- Using a spoon, spoon in some of the cream cheese icing. Don’t put it all in at once, or the mixture will become too soggy and you won’t be able to roll the cake balls. After adding and mixing in 2 spoons of the icing, try rolling your cake balls. If they start cracking or fall apart, that means you have to add more of the cream cheese icing.
- Roll the cake balls gently with your hands and insert the lollipop stems like this:
- Set in the freezer for an hour.
- Remove the cake pops from the freezer and let them sit for 10 minutes otherwise the shell will crack. You’ll know they’re ready when the balls are cold, but not rock hard.
- Make sure your chocolate shell is warm. Dip the cake pops into the shell and if you want sprinkles on them, dip into a bowl of sprinkles. Stick the cakepop into the Styrofoam. When all the pops are done, refrigerate till the shell is hard. This takes 35mins-1hr.
- Enjoy!! I dare you to eat just one 😉